Monday, March 2, 2009

Another Review from the Wild Card Book Tour

Book Review from: http://deenasbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/shame-lifter-by-marilyn-hontz.html


Most likely, you'd never know this unless I told you, especially after browsing here at My Bookshelf--but I prefer non-fiction to fiction.

Told you you'd never know it! I love a good story, one that not only entertains but educates and inspires, free from the 'ick' factor and full of the Spirit.

But a non-fiction book that changes me, that takes me on a real-life journey with someone who's walked the road I'm walking---that really is what I tend to hunt for.

And that's what I found in Marilyn Hontz' book, "Shame Lifter". It was worth having just for the gorgeous cover art alone, but I must tell you--I wouldn't have missed this journey with Marilyn for the world.

In her book, "Shame Lifter", Marilyn truly bares her soul, sharing episodes in her life and thoughts from her mind that may shock some, but most likely will make others think "Oh, praise God, I'm NOT alone!"

Marilyn talks about talking with an accent--an accent of shame. She shares how one moment--a compliment, actually--created a break-through for her. How even the thought of writing a book caused shame based thoughts to race through her mind.

I'm SO glad she didn't listen!!

As one who has lived nearly my entire life battling the voice of shame inside my head and my heart, I drank in Marilyn's book like a thirsty sponge. The power of her message will join the ranks of Beth Moore's "Breaking Free" and books like "The Relief of Imperfection" to help Christian women (and even men) blow aways the clouds of shame in their lives.

Marilyn makes the quick distinction between guilt and shame, and talks about how shame can be used to motivate people to change. This isn't the shame Marilyn sets us free from.

The shame she has been held captive by, and the shame I still battle, is a sense of "why am I even breathing air" kind of shame. An over-the-top sense of unworthiness that keeps one bound and unable to serve God in freedom.

If you've never battled such shame, read Marilyn's book, because I'm certain you know someone who is battling it. You may even be heaping inappropriate shame upon them without knowing it. Let her book set you free.

If you're very familiar with shame and long to crush the tapes that play constantly in your head, allow the voice of God to speak through Marilyn's experiences and to lift up your head as a child of the King. Let her book set you free.

If you are a counselor, you won't find a better book (besides God's Word) to give to others to read. Marilyn is relatable, inspiring, transparent, and informative. She is a kind and wonderful companion who's forged ahead on the path of healing just far enough to guide us along the way.

Also included in Marilyn's book is 'The Father's Love Letter', used with permission from the original authors, along with some other useful additions to the story she shares with us.

Each chapter concludes with questions, shame lifters, and prayers to guide you in your path to healing and deliverance from unhealthy shame. I cannot recommend Marilyn's book to you enough. This is one I will be buying and handing out to others I know who battle with shame.

It's also going to stay on my 'read again' shelf...because I know I'm not done yet. Christ has my victory already won, I know...but I still live with me, and I can be my own worst enemy.

I'm giving "Shame Lifter" the Golden Bookmark for writing excellence and genuine heart, as well as voting it "Best Christian Living/Inspiration Book of 2009". Go out and get your copy TODAY. Don't wait another moment.

You'll be SO glad you did.

Happy Reading!

http://deenasbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/shame-lifter-by-marilyn-hontz.html

1 comment:

  1. Lantern FFXIV GIL hanging up high, singing Wow Power Leveling indistinct indistinct, ambiguous buy wow gold voice aion kinah of an endless supply, Yan Yi extremely coquettish woman, the endless, is indeed maple story mesos the ancient aion power leveling red-light district, this in no way inferior to the modern dofus kamas scene.

    ReplyDelete